In December of 2012, the City of Brownsville adopted the ICC 2006 Property Maintenance Code that also included a Multi-family housing inspection program. (Ordinance #2012-670-F (PDF)
.) The purpose the inspection program is to safeguard the life, health, safety, welfare and property of occupants of multi-family dwelling complexes. The inspection program requires rental property owners to register their units with the City of Brownsville and undergo a yearly inspection.
- Applies to 3 or more units
- Annual registration fee of $50 plus $12 per unit (i.e. 3 units 50+36= $86)
- Inspections must be conducted prior to issuance of license
- All licenses expire on December 31
- Mobile home parks, duplexes and single family residence are not included under this program.
The Housing Rental Registration Application (PDF)
must be submitted to the Building Inspection and Permitting Department with supporting documents.
We encourage for property owners/managers to download the Housing Inspection Form (PDF)
to review prior to a scheduled inspection.
If you should have any questions, please contact us at 956-550-8345 or email
Program Extension Notice
The implementation of this program has been extended for one year. Owners/ managers should submit their applications for review by July 1, 2014 in order to be inspected prior to December 31, 2014. Licenses will be issued in January, 2015.