The ESG program is a component of the state's Continuum of Care system designed to alleviate homelessness in Brownsville. ESG programs enable homeless individuals and families to move toward independent living by providing emergency housing, supportive services, and housing assistance. ESG funds are provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) on an annual basis and administered by the City of Brownsville.
The general goals of this funding are consistent with those established by HUD and are intended to benefit people at risk of homelessness or homeless.
- Expand economic opportunities
- Provide decent housing
- Provide a suitable living environment
Eligible activities funded under ESG include the following:
- Engage homeless individuals and families living on the street
- Improve the number and quality of emergency shelters for homeless individuals and families
- Help operate these shelters
- Provide essential services to shelter residents
- Rapidly re-house homeless individuals and families
- Prevent families and individuals from becoming homeless