The City of Brownsville's HBA Program is designed to assist low to moderate income families realize ownership of new or existing single-family homes. Low to moderate income homebuyers that qualify for the HBA Program will receive a no-interest, deferred loan, of up to $25,000 to use for down payment and closing costs, and eligible, pre-paid expenses associated with buying a home. Loan amount is based on financial need and is subject to availability of HOME funds.
- My household income is 80% or below of the Brownsville area median family income
- I have not owned a home in the last 3 years
- I am buying a single family home located within Brownsville City Limits
- I can be approved for a mortgage loan from a participating lender (Loan does not exceed underwriting ratios of 38/48 for new home and 38/48 for existing homes) with at least 600 credit score
- I can pay $1,000 to cover the initial mortgage application processing expense
- Other restrictions apply
How to Apply
Your participating lender will help you complete your HBA application. Only trained loan officers listed on the HBA Participating Lenders list may submit HBA applications for borrowers. You can also contact our office at 956-548-6167 for more information.
Information for Lenders
To be approved to submit HBA applications on behalf of borrowers, individual loan officers must attend an HBA Lender Workshop. If you are a loan officer and are interested in being added to the approved lender list, email Minerva Gracia at [email protected] and request the requirements to be added to participating lenders list.