BROWNSVILLE, Texas (April 12, 2021) – The City of Brownsville recently launched an update to BTXFuture.com to highlight the city’s major accomplishments throughout 2020.
Despite a challenging year, the City of Brownsville reached several planned milestones, while staying true to its pillars of effective governance, economic development, infrastructure, public safety, planning, zoning, and development, and quality of life.
Some of the interactive online report’s highlights include:
- Completing the Brownsville South Padre Island (BRO) International Airport Terminal to better serve the region’s travel needs;
- Responding proactively to the COVID-19 pandemic through rapid innovations (ex. testing sites), active communications (ex. BTXCares), and community collaborations (ex. United Against Hunger);
- Encouraging professional development among our public servants, which led to 93 employees graduating from the inaugural Professional Development Program with UTRGV and Effective Motivational Leadership;
- Adopting a Unified Development Code and zoning to simplify the permits process for builders and developers; and
- Starting construction to implement the City’s five-year Capital Improvement Plan as scheduled.
“I am proud of what we have accomplished together in 2020,” said City Manager Noel Bernal. “As vaccines roll out within our community and as our city recovers from the pandemic, I am excited to build on our momentum as we look toward our projects in 2021.”
BTXFuture.com first launched in 2019 to serve as a year-in-review report to underscore the city’s accomplishments.
To view the site, go to https://btxfuture.com