The City of Brownsville is proactively taking steps to prepare for the upcoming Atlantic Hurricane Season, which officially begins on June 1 and runs until November 30. A key part of these preparations involves the distribution of sandbags to residents and local businesses which was done on Friday, July 2, 2023.
Residents and businesses were eligible to receive up to eight (8) sandbags. Proof of residency was required to participate. Accepted forms of proof include a valid driver's license or a utility bill accompanied by a photo I.D.
The City of Brownsville distributed the sandbags at four key locations:
Monte Bella Park: 2845 W. Alton Gloor Blvd., Brownsville, Tx. 78520
Brownsville Event Center: 1 Event Center Blvd., Brownsville, Tx. 78526
Fronton Warehouse at 3rd Street & West Rail Trail: 298 E. Fronton, Brownsville, Tx. 78520
Public Works Office Building: 6035 Jaime J. Zapata, Brownsville, TX 78521
According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the 2023 hurricane season is expected to be a near-normal season. NOAA predicts a 40% chance of a near-normal season and a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30% chance of a below-normal season.
According to NOAA, it is forecasting a range of 12 to 17 total named storms (winds of 39-miles or higher). Of these, 5 to 9 have the potential to become hurricanes.
The City of Brownsville thanks all residents and businesses for their active participation in ensuring the safety and preparedness of our community. For more information about the event or other City services, please call the City of Brownsville’s Engineering and Public Works Department at (956) 547-6585.