The City of Brownsville continues to take proactive measures during the 2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season. Distributing sandbags can be an effective way to help protect residents and businesses from potential flooding during hurricanes or tropical storms.
The distribution of sandbags to residents and local businesses will take place Saturday, July 15, 2023, from 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Locations for Sandbag Distribution:
• Fronton Warehouse at 3rd Street & West Rail Trail: 298 E. Fronton, Brownsville, TX 78520
• Public Works Office Building: 6035 Jaime J. Zapata, Brownsville, TX 78521
Residents and businesses are eligible to receive up to eight (8) sandbags each. To participate, proof of residency is required. Accepted forms of proof include a valid driver's license or a utility bill accompanied by a photo I.D.
As for the 2023 hurricane season, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has predicted a near-normal season. NOAA forecasts a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season, and a 30% chance of a below-normal season. They expect a range of 12 to 17 total named storms with winds of 39 miles per hour or higher, of which 5 to 9 have the potential to become hurricanes.
The City of Brownsville appreciates the active participation of all residents and businesses in ensuring the safety and preparedness of the community. It's important to stay informed and follow any additional instructions or guidelines provided by local authorities during the hurricane season to ensure the well-being of everyone.