City Cell: 459-1583
Norma Zamora has over 25 years of transit experience. She has spent her entire transit career at systems in Texas including the Corpus Christi Regional Transit Authority, Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART), and Brownsville Metro. She is a highly skilled executive with significant experience in financial oversight, strategic planning, project management, advocacy, consensus building, union labor relations and the development of partnerships in the public, private, and non-profit sectors.
She has served as the Director for the City of Brownsville’s public transit department, Brownsville Metro (B-METRO), since 1998. Her professional experience during her tenure in Brownsville consists of:
- Oversight of a $6,000,000 Annual Operating and Maintenance Budget;
- Obtained over $86,200,000 in Federal and State Grants;
- Oversight of grants expenditure.
- Oversight of all planning, development, grant writing, procurement, and construction activity associated with the “Connecting Communities” TIGER project ($14,600,000)
- Oversight of all planning, development, and implementation of the Metro Connect Intercity Bus Service ($5,500,000);
- Oversight of all planning, development, and construction activity associated with the La Plaza at Brownsville Multimodal Terminal/Parking Garage ($36,000,000) and Northside Transfer Station ($1,200,000);
- Oversight of Fleet Replacement and Expansion Projects ($8,000,000);
- Oversight of Bus Stop Capital Improvements ($4,000,000);
- Oversight and Implementation of Transportation Technology Projects ($2,000,000).
Advocacy and Partnerships
- Foster and developed professional relationships with local municipalities’ key officials, private and educational sectors officials to establish regional public transit services;
- Successfully headed Texas Transit efforts towards a rule change in the Federal Transportation Reauthorization Bill to preserve the City of Brownsville’s Federal Operating Funds (approximately $1,800,000 annually);
- Secured over $18,700,000 in Local Funds for the completion of the above mentioned projects;
- Developed partnerships with national and international transportation firms in order to maximize connectivity to and from the City of Brownsville.
- Direct all departmental activity and oversee 99 employees, including a $1,400,000 Maintenance Contract;
- Develop and implement short and long range goal directions for the department;
- Deliver presentations at Municipal, Regional, State and National forums;
- Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with officials and employees at the Federal, State, Regional and Municipal levels;
- Responsible for all public and media communication and relations.
- 2017-FTA Region VI Transit System of the Year
- Texas Transit Leadership Academy Class of 2012-2013;
- 2012 Women in Transportation Feature - Metro Magazine;
- 2012 Association of Builders and Contractors Excellence in Construction Award;
- 2012 Texas Transit Association’s Outstanding Small Urban System;
- 2010-2012 Texas Transit Association President;
- 2010-2012 Southwest Transit Association Board Member;
- 2010 Texas Transit Association’s Outstanding General Manager;
- 2010 First Transit National Silver Safety Award;
- 2008-2014 LRGV Regional Transportation Advisory Panel, Vice-Chair
- 2004 Leadership Texas Program;
- 2003 Texas Transit Association’s Outstanding Small Urban System
- 2002 President of Brownsville’s Toastmaster International Club #6763
- 2001-2004 CTAA Certified Community Manager